Before you go....
If you want to travel overseas, including journeys through the       Channel tunnel, you will need a passport

Check that your passport is still valid for a minimum of six          months at return date, that is in good condition and make a        note of its number, date and place of issue. Make a photocopy    of the last page and leave it will family or friends

Write the full details of next of kin in your passport

Children under 16 (including babies) not already included on a    valid passport, need their own individual passports. Children        already included on their parents' passports can continue to        travel on these until they reach 16, or until the passport on          which they are included expires. When traveling to the USA,       children must hold a passport of their own

Take another means of identification (preferably with a               photograph)

When you are there...

Keep your passport in the villa/hotel safe and carry a                  photocopy with you


Before you go...

Make sure you have enough to cover emergencies

​Check the expiry dates on your credit or debit card(s) and make a separate note of their numbers

When you are there...

Carry only as much money as you need for the day

Don't carry all your cards with you - leave at least one in the        safe

If your money, passport or anything else is stolen abroad,
report it as once to the local police and obtain a statement
about the loss as you will need one to claim against your
insurance. You will need to take steps to cancel any cards or
travellers cheques, so take relevant phone numbers

Zante has a very low crime rate and is much safer than here in the UK, the people adore children and respect their elders. These notes are only a guideline when traveling abroad in general, don't have nightmares!


For up to date travel advice and tips, check the Foreign & 
Commonwealth Office website at or call     0845 850 2892

Get a good guidebook and find out about your destination.
Make sure you know about local laws and customs and              follow them on arrival

Tell family and friends where you are going and leave
them your contact details. Leave copies of your passport,           insurance policy (including a 24 hour emergency number),          ticket details, and your itinerary


Get adequate and comprehensive travel insurance and check that it covers all the activities you plan to undertake. Be sure your policy provides for:

An air ambulance, in case you need to be flown home
All medical bills (which can be expensive)
Any pre-existing medical conditions
Any potentially hazardous sports activities
Bringing your family home, in the event of illness or injury
Unavoidable holiday cancellation


Check if your medication is legal in the country you are 
visiting. Pack in your hand luggage
If you are taking prescribed medication, take a copy of the
prescription with you, and find out if you will need to take 
a doctors letter with you
If you are travelling within the EEA (European Economic Area)
get an EHIC from, ring 0845 6062030
or go to the Post Office. But remember you still need travel


Before you a return ticket

When you are there...keep your tickets in a safe place -          locked up if possible


As you would be in the UK, be alert and observant, and report
any unattended items or suspicious activity by individual to the
local police


Avoid any involvement with drugs - the penalties are severe         and could include the death penalty in some countries

Don't carry parcels or luggage through customs for other             people

Don't cross land boarders with people you don't know, e.g.          hitch-hikers